Hydro Building Systems UK Ltd
Gloucestershire GL20 8SF
Tel: 01684 853 500
Fax: 01684 851 850
Suppliers of: Aluminium Windows, Sliding Doors, Aluminium Doors, Commercial Doors, Curtain Walling,
Imagination makes the world go around. At TECHNAL, it’s our driving force and way of doing things. It allows us to move forward, innovate and inspire. Where others just see a window, we see cutting-edge technology that benefits both the users and the environment. We see the future.
The TECHNAL brand from Hydro was created over 60 years ago and is a pioneering international specialist in architectural aluminium building systems. We have established an unrivalled reputation for innovative and inspiring design solutions, building up a profile of impressive award-winning projects.
With a history in the UK that spans more than 30 years, our aluminium building solutions have been used to create purpose-designed facades for diverse sections of businesses and residential buildings. We have a clear understanding of the requirements of architects, contractors, developers, fabricators and occupiers which enables us to create an innovative, technically advanced and flexible product portfolio.
Sustainable development is one of the greatest challenges facing the industry today and we need to transform our economy. TECHNAL shares the values and commitment of the Hydro Group, a world leader in aluminium solutions, namely the preservation of natural resources, the reduction of CO2 emissions and waste, the guarantee of employee safety, the satisfaction of quality expectations and the improvement of consumers’ quality of life. These goals to protect the environment and to build a sustainable future are made possible with the sustainable aluminium alloys we offer.
Hydro CIRCAL® is a range of prime quality aluminium made with a minimum of 75% recycled end-of-life aluminium (post-consumer scrap), like for example façades and windows that have been dismantled from building and fully recycled. Solutions using Hydro CIRCAL® have the highest share of recycled aluminium on the market, at least 75% and have one of the smallest CO2 footprints world wide – 2.3kg CO2 per kilo of aluminium. This is six times, or 84% less than the world-wide average for primary extraction.
Hydro REDUXA® is our low carbon aluminium range. Thanks to modern technology and the use of renewable energy from hydro, wind and solar power, we can produce aluminium that is cleaner than ever before. The threshold of four kilograms of CO2 per kilogram of aluminium is the maximum allowable carbon footprint for this product line, a figure that includes total emissions from mining, refining, transportation, power and anode production, smelting and casting.
We certify that the dedicated parts of our production comply with the highest standards, even from a climate perspective, because we believe that as our customers’ footprint shrink, there are many opportunities available to them.
- GEODE MX 52 - GEODE MX successfully combines the creative and visual demands of architects and the functional needs of contractors, developers, and occupiers. By simplifying the technical aspects, manufacturing, and the installation process ensuring high quality, convenience, and cost-efficiency
- SPINALMY 62 - Based on the 62mm module and with a patented assembly system, SPINAL MY combines pleasing aesthetics, large sizes, and interior comfort. The double skin creates a space between the façade and exterior wall enabling bioclimatic buildings to be created. This product is a true link combining technical and design expertise. All visual aspects can be created with easy integration.
- ELEGANCE 52 - Elegance 52 is a comprehensive aluminium curtain wall system that combines technology and design with the demands of contemporary building architecture and construction. By using a 52mm aluminium substructure width a slim sightline is provided alongside necessary strength and inertia requirements.
- CROWN RESIDENTIAL With Technal Crown Residential Window Suite, true flexibility is available to meet your product needs. Our design expertise, technical knowledge, and passion have developed this window system to provide you with a range of options and capabilities - including those that provide structural integrity. The Crown system was designed the way we would like them to look in our home, making them perfect for residential projects
- SOLEAL FY 65 - The innovative, universal window system that brings high performance, technical advancements, and design features to enhance your project.
- DUALFRAME 75 SI - The Dualframe 75 Si window system has been designed to comply with the increasing complexity of meeting Secured by Design, Building Regulations, British Standards and other regulatory demands.
- DUALSLIDE - The Solution for vertical or horizontal sliding windows. Using advanced polyamide thermal break technology, Dualslide provides high thermal performance without foam filled profiles or costly sealed unit specifications.
- DUALFRAME 75 - The Dualframe system combines strength, safety, sustainability and beauty for new-builds or refurbishment projects, particularly in residential, educational or light commercial buildings.
- TIGAL - TIGAL is a hybrid pull-slide system, combining the advantages of a sliding door with the performance of a window. This product is ideal for meeting the challenges of climate change as it has excellent thermal insulation and weather performance compared to traditional sliding systems. With a patented central sealing system, exceptional water-tightness is guaranteed – up to four times greater than a traditional sliding door.
- CONFORT - Confort is a high performance thermally insulated sliding door system, with a user-friendly (lift-) slide action. The system, with an attractive aesthetic line, is durable, stable and remarkably energy efficient. With a maximum vent weight up to 400 kg large glazed areas are easily attainable.
- STII - Delivering exceptional thermal performance, the new STII Commercial Door System is an aluminium door system suited to high traffic commercial applications. Offering a range of framing options, installations can be tailored to suit most space and sizes up to three metres high. Designed for use with Technal’s aluminium window systems and curtain walling, the STII doors provide an integrated façade solution for your projects where high traffic aluminium doors are essential.
- CROWN FOLDING SLIDING - Combining form and function, the Crown Sliding Folding Doors can be tailored to suit any project and is key to bringing together the inside of a residential property with the outside. With a unique continuous hinge, there is no unsightly hardware to disrupt the contemporary sightline.
- CROWN PATIO – The Crown Patio Doors are key to bringing the outside into your home, and are engineered for strength and stability. These wide opening aluminium doors have strength and a slim frame, allowing enjoyment of the best views and maximum light to flood in. These patio doors have a multipoint locking system providing additional security features to ensure they deliver high-security for peace of mind.
Technal’s market-leading commercial aluminium doors provide specifiers with flexibility in design, safety and security, combined with excellent weather resistance. Door suites are available in a wide range of configurations including - hinged, pivot, revolving or sliding systems and these are all compatible with Technal’s curtain walling and low rise façade systems.
- PY 55 COMMERICAL DOOR - The PY 55 Commercial Door range offers outstanding thermal performance, levels of security and specification options for high traffic applications. This system has been developed for areas of heavy use like hospitals, shopping and sports centres, offices, apartment buildings and education environments.
- CD COMMERCIAL DOORS - The CD Door is a heavy-duty door solution for use in busy public places. Combining lasting resistance to wear, protection against vandalism and effective security this is a robust system that’s ideal for secondary school applications and entrances to public buildings such as airports, offices and shopping centres.
- STORMFRAME STII COMMERCIAL DOOR – The Stormframe STII High Traffic Aluminium Door provides the ideal solution for a wide range of commercial applications. Since launch, it has been recognised as an exceptional product in terms of performance and fabrication.
- 202 COMMERCIAL DOOR – The 202 Commercial Door is a non-thermally broken aluminium framing system. This modular product can incorporate single and double doors along with automated sliding doors having being designed for entrance screens and shopfronts.
- DUALFRAME DUALSECURE 75MM DOOR – Suitable for Commerical and Domestic projects, the Dualframe Dualsecure 75mm aluminium door can be used for contemporary or traditional styling. By using a unique patented polyamide strip with an integral bead retention leg the projection of the door leaf profile is minimised. Dualframe 75 stiles are designed to accept full-length Eurogroove – ensuring compatibility with a wide range of hardware.
- CROWN RESIDENTIAL DOOR – The Crown range of doors have been designed for their aesthetics, strength and durability. These fit easily into domestic projects easily with front and back door styling options. Whichever you choose, you can be assured that your home is left secured each and every time.
A range of support systems are available to you which includes technical assistance with design development, through to the preparation of specification. TECHNAL responds to individual project needs, with bespoke designs for specific scheme, performance enhancements and new innovations.
Our team of field-based Project Consultants work closely with our in-house contracts, system design and supply chain teams to provide information and assistance. We cover every aspect of your project. We combine architectural trends and technical developments as part of our product design to deliver high-performance and aesthetically pleasing systems.
For further information on all our products and services, please visit our web site www.technal.co.uk or download our brochures from our BPi library.
TECHNAL SUSTAINABLE FACADE SYSTEMS USED @ NEW LOUGHBOROUGH SCIENCE & ENTERPRISE PARK
Putting sustainable construction at its core, the first Enterprise Zone office development at Loughborough University Science and Enterprise Park (LUSEP) features TECHNAL aluminium curtain walling made from Hydro CIRCAL® 75R, which uses a minimum of 75% post-consumer recycled aluminium, the façade contributes to reducing the building’s carbon footprint and its BREEAM Very Good rating.
The largest, single-occupier office in Leicestershire
Designed by leading architectural practice Stephen George + Partners LLP (SGP), the development is being built through Major Works UK, part of the Scape National Construction Framework, by main contractor Wates Construction. The £22 million project began in February 2019 comprising a 7,500-square metre nett area, four-storey building, which will house the headquarters for leading software company, The Access Group.
Completed in November 2020, the new office development, funded by Leicestershire County Council, is said to be the largest, single-occupier office deal in Leicestershire.
“The façade design is a combination of metal cladding panels and curtain walling with the two and three-storey expanses of the curtain walling framed by the cladding. The overall aesthetic objective of the building was to create a place with strong composition, clean lines, and a memorable identity.
All the aluminium systems were finished in RAL 7037 matt grey and one bespoke element was the demand for combinations of glass, glass look-a-like, opaque and louvre panels.”
Kanti Chhapi, Studio Director of SGP.
Specific project requirements met for optimal energy efficiency
The TECHNAL team were approached by Wates Construction to offer specification solutions that would suit the aesthetics and technical requirements of the project. Designed around a central core with a linking wing either side, TECHNAL MX Grid curtain wall spans vertically. The facade also incorporates the company’s FY65 casement windows, and Stormframe STII doors.
For optimal energy efficiency, the windows and curtain walling needed to meet specific performance requirements, including a specified area weighted average U-value of 1.4W/m²K with G-values of 0.4 and 0.3. Designed for thermal efficiency, TECHNAL MX curtain wall offers an integrated thermal break, which, when combined with high-performance glazing means these values are achieved - reducing energy consumption for heating, lighting, ventilation and air-conditioning.
“Chris Topp, a TECHNAL engineer, came to our workshop to update us on the systems’ fabrication. We wanted to refresh our production staff to ensure there were no recent changes and to take advantage of any new machinery, tools and techniques.
TECHNAL had a hands-on, collaborative approach that was very much appreciated when working on such a big project like this”
Paul Stevens, Commercial Director at Acorn Aluminium
A shared sustainability ethos to contribute to BREEAM Very Good rating
The building’s construction brief outlined a BREEAM Very Good rating. To achieve this successfully, one of the contributing factors was to ensure that all parties involved in the project had a shared sustainability ethos. The Hydro CIRCAL® 75R product aligned to the values outlined in the project’s brief.
The TECHNAL team was applauded for its joint approach on the project.
"Our curtain walling was already offered, but the fact that we also proposed it in the Hydro CIRCAL® 75R range was an added benefit at no additional cost. Operating the most advanced recycling technology in the industry allows us to provide the highest recycled content aluminium in the market.
Hydro CIRCAL® 75R is premium aluminium that contains a minimum of 75% post-consumer scrap, and the LUSEP project is one of the first to use it in the UK.”
Dean Sherwood, Project Consultant at TECHNAL UK
Contact our team of Project Consultants to work on a more sustainable future with TECHNAL
TECHNAL UK improves it's Responsible Sourcing 6001 Certification
ACHIEVEMENT OF A "VERY GOOD" RATING COMPARED TO "GOOD" FOR 2020
The Responsible Sourcing of Construction Products provides a holistic approach to managing a product from the point at which component materials are mined or harvested, through manufacture and processing. On the recent audit for this certification, Hydro Building Systems UK have been classified with a Very Good rating – an improvement on last years rating of Good – and is one of two companies in the Aluminium Products category of the building and construction industry to have achieved this scoring.
CONTRIBUTES TO ATAINMENT OF GREEN BUILDING CERTIFICATIONS
As part of the Hydro Group, TECHNAL can assure fabricators, end-users, clients, architects and specifiers that we take social, economic and environmental protection seriously when it comes to our business activities, supply chain, and the effect that our operations may have.
The Responsible Sourcing of Construction Products addresses aspects such as stakeholder engagement, labour practises and the management of the supply chain to ensure we make as little impact on the environment as possible. To meet the standard, certain elements needed to be met. The Standard also provides a route to obtaining credits for green building certifications like BREEAM, LEED and REED.
The Responsible Sourcing Certification is a reliable and transparent way to ensure that materials and products that you choose aren’t just having a low impact on the environment, they also support local communities and approach supply chain and product management as sustainably as possible. By choosing TECHNAL products, the maximum amount of credits under certification schemes like BREAAM can be achieved as well as “peace of mind” that you are choosing the products and materials with the lowest impact possible.
For your next greener building project - contact our team of experts.