Suppliers of: Geosynthetic Systems, Vegetated Retaining Walls, Erosion Control, Landfill, Green Roofs, Landscaping, Highways, Green Bridges, Green Tunnels, Geocomposite Drainage Layers, Geomembranes, Geotextiles, Geogrids
ABG are a UK leader in the development, manufacture and technical support of high performance geosynthetic solutions for use in a wide range of building and environmental projects.
Formed in 1988, based in Meltham, in the heart of the Pennines, ABG has developed an excellent reputation for developing quality products and outstanding service. The ability for rapid product development ensures that the most innovative, up to date and cost effective solution can be found for many engineering problems including Green Roofs, SuDS, permeable paving, reinforced soil and drainage.
Technical support is provided by our trained and experienced staff, many of whom are Chartered Civil Engineers. This extensive support includes design, design confirmation, feasibility studies, cost advice and meeting regulatory requirements including BREEAM and CFSH.
To complement this product range and knowledge base ABG have approved installers allowing a complete package solution to be offered from design to installation to ongoing maintenance, all working in partnership with the client to deliver bespoke project solutions.
BIM files available here.
View our case studies here.
Request a CPD here.
Some of our main products:
Roofing Systems and Podium Decks:
- Extensive Green Roofs - Extensive Green Roofs are the most common type and are light-weight, relatively low cost and low maintenance.
- Intensive Green Roofs - Intensive Green Roofs, often referred to as ‘Roof Gardens’, can be viewed very much like a garden area and may be landscaped to include trees, lawns, flower beds and paved areas.
- ABG Blueroof - offers a new concept in the management of storm water. Changing weather patterns means rainfall events have become more extreme, challenging the way water is managed. ABG blueroof utilises the roof construction for the attenuation of storm water, releasing it at a controlled rate in the period following the storm.
- Biodiverse roof systems - characteristically consist of undulating growing media; typically 80mm – 150mm deep. This is planted with a variety of drought tolerant hardy plants or seed, such as wildflowers, sedums, grasses and perennials.
- ABG Roofdrain - is designed for use in extensive green roof systems. It provides both drainage and attenuation in a convenient, lightweight and cost effective system.
- ABG Deckdrain - is designed for use in podium decks and intensive green roof systems. It provides high strength drainage in a lightweight and cost effective system.
Soil Erosion Control:
- Advanced Turf Reinforced Grass – Netlon Advanced Turf System (Netlon ATS) is a high performance mesh-element reinforced natural grass rootzone system. This system provides an aesthetic SuDS compliant free-draining grassed surface, capable of sustaining heavy vehicle loadings.
- ConcertinaWeb Geocell - ConcertinaWeb is a geocellular containment system which confines and strengthens infill materials and provides a cost effective solution for the reinforcement of roadside verges, preventing verge failure and material loss in the event of vehicles overrunning.
- Erosamat Type 1 and 1A - are low cost biodegradable soil erosion control mats made from woven jute. They are used as an economic and environmentally friendly erosion control material for surfaces that will support plant growth.
- Erosamat Type 2 - A heavy duty long life coir biodegradable soil erosion mat. Designed to prevent soil erosion and help establish new vegetation on soil and in situations of high rainfall run-off and watercourse water velocity.
- Erosamat Type 3 - is a closely packed matrix of polypropylene fibres thermally bonded together to create a tough and flexible, long lasting erosion control mat for watercourse and high rainfall run off.
- Erosamat Type 4 - Biodegradable matting available in both plain and preseeded variations for immediate surface protection against erosion.
- Erosaweb geocell - is designed for the reinforcement of weak soils such as veneer layers of top soil and on steep slopes over the edge of ponds. Forms a revetment when filled with stone or concrete.
Retaining Wall Systems:
- Webwall - is a flexible retaining wall system that utilises geocell technology. Using Webwall geocell, green faced walls with near vertical faces can be built quickly and easily with the added benefit of using site won materials as fill Webwall is ideal as the facing to reinforced soil.
Permeable Paving Systems:
- Truckcell™ - is a heavy-duty cellular porous paving system designed for intensive usage and high-load traffic applications. The permeable paver can be filled with topsoil and seeded or with gravel to provide a structural surface for HGV traffic, trucks, coaches and fork-lift trucks.
- Netlon Advanced Turf System - (Netlon ATS) is a high performance mesh-element reinforced natural grass rootzone system. It provides an aesthetic, SuDS compliant free-draining grassed surface, capable of sustaining heavy vehicle loadings in occasional-use applications. Such as fire access, event and window cleaning.
- Sudspave - is a permeable paving system of interlocking cellular plastic porous pavers designed for the stabilisation of trafficked grass or gravel surfaces. Used where a free-draining permeable gravel or grass car park, access road or driveway is required.
- GrassPave Mesh - is a plastic mesh to strengthen existing grassed areas for light-vehicle use.
Geocomposite Drainage Systems:
- Cavidrain - drainage geocomposite - is a preformed cavity drainage system designed to relieve water penetration from basements and buried structures.
- ABG Deckdrain - is a high performance geocomposite drainage system. Designed to provide an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional structural drainage techniques, it provides high flow capacity and added protection to waterproofing.
- Fildrain - drainage geocomposite - is a cost effective alternative to traditional stone drainage. It collects and channels liquids and gases to a carrier pipe for transportation to a suitable discharge point. Fildrain fin drain has many applications in highway and embankment drainage.
- Piledrain - is designed as an effective solution to the treatment of joints between contiguous and secant bored concrete piles in basement and retaining wall construction.
- Pozibreak - is designed specifically as a drainage void layer installed to protect the imported clean soils from the rise of contaminated ground through capillary action, and as a salt barrier where saline groundwater and surface water is to be separated.
- Pozidrain - drainage geocomposite - is a wide-width preformed drainage and gas venting solution, providing a sustainable, environmental alternative to traditional filter stone drainage layers. Used extensively for landfill and contaminated land drainage on slopes and basal areas to remove water, liquids and gas quickly & efficiently.
- Pozidrain G - is the latest addition to the Pozidrain family of products. It is purpose designed as a cost-effective composite for use in landfill capping, for subsurface drainage and gas venting and basal lining systems for subsurface drainage and leachate management.
- Turfdrain - is a pre-formed, high performance, drainage system designed to replace traditional pipe and filter stone drainage for existing grass sports pitches.
Ground Stabilisation and Reinforcement:
- Gridtex - is a high performance woven geotextile engineered for reinforcement applications and is ideal for strengthening a wide range of soils. It is capable of fulfilling many of the functions required of a geogrid whilst at the same time offering all the benefits of a woven geotextile.
- Abgrid - biaxial geogrid - can be used in a wide range of civil engineering applications such as, ground stabilisation, aggregate reduction, piling platforms and foundation engineering in paved and unpaved roads and temporary works.
- Trigrid EX - is an innovative high performance geogrid combining fibre-reinforced polymer strips within a woven structure. Ideal for reinforced soil structures.
- Enkagrid PRO - can be used in reinforcement of slopes, earth walls, embankments, platforms and foundations in civil engineering applications providing reinforcement and stabilisation functions.
- Rotagrid - is a self-adhesive pavement reinforcement system designed to prolong the life of pavement structures and allow the use of thinner overlays.
- Rotaflex - is an asphalt reinforcing system designed to prevent premature road failure increasingly arising as a result of increasing axle loads. Ideal for Roads, Runways and Pavements.
- Terrex - is arrange of non-woven filter/separator geotextiles for French Drains.
- Abtex - in a range of woven geotextiles for stabilisation of access roads over poor ground.
- Abweb - is a geocellular web that enables a 50% reduction in crushed stone sub-base, making it ideal in situations with limited access.
Tree Root Protection
- Abweb TRP - a geocellular web to guard against damage to tree roots from new access routes or temporary works.
- ABG Rootline - Tree root protection of structures by flexible and profiled barrier layers.
- ABG Claymat - a quick and convenient waterproof layer to form a liner in SuDS ponds and ornamental features.
- Ablon - a flexible polymer liner for ponds and tanks.
SuDS Sustainable Drainage Systems
- SuDS - advice and product design from ABG based on extensive range of Blue roof, ponds,
For more information on these or any of our other products please visit our literature library on BPindex or alternatively visit our website at www.abgltd.com
ABG Geosynthetics joins the BontexGeo Group
ABG Ltd, a market leader in the design, development, manufacture and technical support of high performance geosynthetic systems for use in a wide range of civil engineering, environmental and sustainable building projects, is pleased to announce it is joining The BontexGeo Group.
BontexGeo is a European industry leader in the production and sale of geotextiles for civil engineering applications. The acquisition, which was completed on 23 April 2021, follows on from a continued period of growth for ABG in its core civil engineering markets, including the design and manufacture of high performance geocomposites for use in a wide range of sustainable drainage applications.
BontexGeo are a key supplier of ABG and have played an important part in ABG’s growth story over the last few years (including under the former Low & Bonar trading name). The acquisition provides further access and opportunities for ABG to continue this growth as part of one of Europe’s leading geosynthetic manufacturers. BontexGeo acquires 100% of the shares in the West Yorkshire based company and ABG will remain operational under the same name. Alan Bamforth, Managing Director of ABG, will remain in his current position to further manage the company together with his team and adds. "We look forward to our future as part of the BontexGeo Group. ABG has been working with BontexGeo for a long time and this step will provide opportunities on both sides to benefit even more from each other's expertise and experience."
Rob van der Valk, Managing Director of BontexGeo explains "This acquisition allows us to strengthen our position in the UK market and reinforces our commitment to invest in growth opportunities following the carve-out from Low & Bonar. The portfolio and expertise of ABG allow us to continue to build on our success of the last years.''
For further information:
Alan Bamforth, Managing Director ABG Ltd, 01484 852096
ABG Geosynthetics switches to 100% renewable energy
All the electricity used by ABG Geosynthetics for the manufacturing of its geocomposite and geocellular products is now certified to come from renewable sources.
The switch to a renewable energy supplier is just one of several recent initiatives introduced by ABG to reduce its environmental impact, explains Managing Director Alan Bamforth. “We have signed up to the UK Civil Engineers’ Emergency Climate Change Declaration, and demonstrating our commitment to optimising our energy use and reducing carbon emissions is one of the key obligations. Ensuring all the electricity we use comes from renewable resources greatly reduces our carbon footprint and helps us improve the sustainability of our operations and products.”
Monitoring Our Environmental Impact
As well as switching to a net zero carbon emissions energy tariff, ABG has appointed Carbon Footprint Ltd, a leading carbon management organisation, to measure the exact carbon emissions made by the company and for each of the products it manufactures for geotechnical and Sustainable Drainage applications.
This includes the assessment of a wide range of drainage geocomposites, typically consisting of a cuspated polyethylene (HDPE) core with a geotextile thermally bonded to one or both sides to create optimal water and gas flow in a variety of civil engineering applications. The verification means ABG is certified to use the ‘Carbon Footprint Standard’ branding on company documentation and product information and allows more precise embodied carbon data to be given for customer’s project and supply chain assessments.
The analysis of ABG’s carbon emissions in 2019 revealed that 75% were directly attributable to electricity consumption from its manufacturing operations and this prompted the move to reduced the output with a move to using a 100% biomass energy tariff, with net zero carbon emissions saving 675.6 T CO2e.
Focus on minimising our carbon emissions is aligned with our focus to design and implement carbon saving for our clients. By switching to light weight and more efficient geocomposite drainage and geocellular containment systems, the carbon output vs traditional granular drainage methods is significant.
In fact, ABG calculates that to be a saving of 23,000 T CO2e for the totally of the products supplied in 2019. To find out more about ABG’s carbon footprint initiative and the savings vs traditional methods please visit: https://www.abg-geosynthetics.com/technical/carbon-footprint-reduction-section