KEIM MINERAL PAINTS LTD
DEER PARK WAY
SHROPSHIRE TF2 7NA
Tel: 01952 231250
Fax: 01952 231251
Suppliers of: Mineral PAINT Mineral Masonry Paint Concrete PAINT RENDERS coatings stone mould resistant paint
KEIM mineral silicate paint systems were invented over 125 years ago to provide longterm protective and decorative finishes for renders subject to harsh climatic conditions. There are many examples throughout Europe of buildings that have been decorated over 100 years ago with KEIM mineral paint systems that are still in good condition today.
KEIM Mineral Paint is Different
KEIM has been widely used and specified extensively throughout the UK over the past 20 years for both external and internal projects. KEIM paint comprises of a potassium silicate binder with inorganic mineral fillers and natural earth-oxide colour pigments. The paint penetrates into the mineral substrate to form a chemical crystalline bond, becoming an integral part of the surface. This ensures an extremely longlife protective paint system.
Vapour Permeable Paint
The structure of the paint allows the free passage of vapour out of the substrate whilst preventing the ingress of driven rain providing a breathable, semi-permeable membrane.
Environmentally Friendly Paint
KEIM Mineral Paints are completely colourfast, mould, algae resistant, pollution resistant, low maintenance and environmentally friendly being waterborne, odourless and non-toxic.
KEIM Mineral Paints are inherently non-combustible and do not support the spread of flame. They achieve a Class 0 fire performance to BS476 part 6 for fire propagation and part 7 for surface spread of flame.
In addition, KEIM Paints are also rated at the top classification of A2 under the proposed new Euronorms. They give off no discernible noxious emissions and are specified by major Local Authorities, Housing Associations, Department of Transport and London Underground specifically for their fire performance characteristics
In addition to traditional decorative work, KEIM is also a market leader in the fields of concrete treatment, fire retardant coatings and stone restoration materials.
Our Range Includes:
- Granital - KEIM Granital®– a classic mineral, matt finish silicate based paint for use on all forms of mineral substrates.
- Royalan - KEIM Royalan ® - a mineral silicate based paint system developed to withstand harsh climatic conditions, ideally suited for use in exposed locations, tropical regions, and those subject to continual pollutants and contaminants.
- Soldalit - KEIM Soldalit®– a modern sol-silicate based paint for use on mineral and previously painted substrates.
- Soldalit-ME - KEIM Soldalit®-ME – an exterior sol-silicate photocatalytic mineral paint.
- Optil - KEIM Optil ®- premium quality sol-silicate paint specifically formulated for elegant interior applications, giving intense, lightfast colour shades.
- Ecosil-ME - KEIM Ecosil-ME ® – a high performance, photocatalyticenvironmentally friendly mineral paint for interior use.
- Innostar - KEIM Innostar® - interior one coat white paint system.
- Concretal-C - KEIM Concretal®C - a waterproof sol silicate based paint specially formulated for protection against carbonation of concrete surfaces.
- Concretal-W - KEIM Concretal®W - a waterproof sol silicate paint, optimised for concrete and formulated for protection against weathering, water and chlorides.
- Concretal-Lasur - KEIM Concretal®Lasur is a low pigmentation silicate colour wash, which acts as a stain that penetrates the surface of concrete, equalising colour variations and blemishes.
- Concrete Repair System - The KEIM concrete repair system is based on cementitious and mineral constituents and is suitable for all forms of concrete substrate.
- Water Repellant and Dust Suppressant - The KEIM range of water repellent and dust suppressant products provide clear surface treatments for all mineral substrates.
- Anti Graffiti - KEIM offers two anti-graffiti materials, both of which can be applied over any of the KEIM mineral paint coatings, offering different surface finishes and life cycles.
- Universal Render - KEIM Universal Render is a pre-bagged mineral render which is extremely flexible, versatile and easy to apply.
- Brillant-Putz - KEIM Brillantputz is a high quality, mineral, thin layer, lightweight render.
- Porosan - The KEIM Porosan render system, in combination with water ingress prevention measures, can successfully repair damaged surfaces.
- NHL Kalkputz - KEIM NHL Kalkputz is a multipurpose natural hydraulic lime render for manual and machine application.
- Restauro Stone Repair - The KEIM Restauro repair systems is a range of dry bagged, mineral-based restoration mortars which are ideal for repairing damage to natural stone surfaces.
- Decorative Lasurs - Protective colourwash effects for render, brick and stone work.
To complement this generic family of mineral silicate paint systems KEIM also offers a comprehensive range of ancillary products.
Further technical information and guidance is available on KEIM MINERAL PAINTS website or via the BPi download Library
These files are provided by the manufacturer. While Building Products Index takes every care to ensure the information is correct and up to date, we cannot be held liable for any out of date or incorrect information in them. Please check with the supplier before specifying or purchasing products.
1. Keim Mineral Paints - Exteriors Brochure
KEIM Mineral Paints were developed over 140 years ago and are used globally to provide extremely long lasting, protective and durable coatings with a reputation for being the best paints in the world.
Published [26/09/19]File size [724 KB]
1. Keim Mineral Paints UK
Keim Mineral Paints - ecological, economical, sustainable
Published [26/07/18]File size [984 KB]
2. Keim Mineral Paints - Interiors Brochure
Mineral Paints - Interiors, INTERNAL PAINT SYSTEMS. KEIM paints penetrate and chemically bond with the mineral substrate onto which they are applied, becoming an integral part of the surface, whereas oil based paints merely form a skin on the surface.
Published [26/09/19]File size [526 KB]
2. Keim Mineral Paints Pre-Treatment
Fillers, cleaners, paint removers, anti fungal coatings, paint preparation materials and products
Published [26/07/18]File size [1072 KB]
3. Keim Mineral Paints - Concrete Brochure
Offering a wide range of KEIM products including pre-treatments, external and internal paints, renders, concrete repair systems, and mineral restoration materials, KEIM Mineral Paints are the UK‘s acknowledged experts in mineral paints, renders and repair systems
Published [26/09/19]File size [888 KB]
3. Keim Mineral Paints Surface Preparation and Material Application
Published [06/11/18]File size [756 KB]
4. Keim Mineral Paints - Stone Brochure
KEIM Mineral Paints were developed over 140 years ago and are used globally to provide extremely long lasting, protective and durable coatings with a reputation for being the best paints in the world
Published [26/09/19]File size [823 KB]
a. Keim Royalan Exterior Mineral Paint for Extreme Climatic Conditions
Specifically developed for harsh climates Highly resistant to weathering Environmentally friendly
Published [31/08/18]File size [890 KB]
c. Keim Mineral Paints Universal Render
Easy Application of Lime Based Render, A universal render system for both internal and external applications. Ideal for renovation work and difficult substrates.
Published [31/08/18]File size [902 KB]
c. Keim Render UK The Mineral Solution
Keim Render Systems – The Mineral Solution
Published [31/08/18]File size [1240 KB]
c. Keim Renders - Quick Reference Guides - Lime Renders
lime renders Mineral Paints
Published [31/08/18]File size [495 KB]
d. Keim Mineral Paints Treatment Anti-Graffiti
Keim Lotexan is a clear, siloxane based water repellent and dust suppressant treatment for use on alkaline mineral substrates such as concrete, render and brickwork.
Published [31/08/18]File size [953 KB]
e. Keim Specifying Visual Concrete
CONCRETE REPAIR AND PROTECTION
Published [31/08/18]File size [1107 KB]
f. Keim Restauro Stone Restoration
A masonry and natural stonework preservative and restoration system.
Published [31/08/18]File size [1009 KB]
g. Keim Lasur Finishes Colourwashes
lasur finishes for render
Published [31/08/18]File size [1731 KB]
g. Keim Mineral Paints in Conservation
Mineral Paints and renders
Published [31/08/18]File size [1178 KB]
g. Keim Paints Hospitals ,Care Homes and Medical Environments
A range of paints developed for Healthcare Buildings
Published [31/08/18]File size [528 KB]
Keim Concretal - Protection and Colour for Concrete
Concrete repair system paints and coatings
Published [31/10/17]File size [1298 KB]
Keim Concretal Black Based Paint
sol-silicate based paint formulated to protect from weathering and has an opaque intensive black finish.
Published [06/06/19]File size [137 KB]
Keim Concretal C
KEIM Concretal C is a waterproof sol-silicate based paint formulated specifically to give protection to concrete against carbonation and chlorides
Published [06/06/19]File size [97 KB]
Keim Concretal Lasur
CONCRETE REPAIR AND PROTECTION, Think Concrete, Think Keim, Keim Concretal Lasur - Colour and protection for concrete
Published [06/06/19]File size [70 KB]
Keim Concretal W
KEIM Concretal W is a water repellent sol-silicate paint formulated for protection of concrete surfaces against weathering and water.
Published [26/09/19]File size [125 KB]
KEIM Ecosil-ME is a high performance, environmentally friendly mineral paint for interior use. KEIM Ecosil-ME is the only internal silicate paint which optimises air quality, making use of the MiNox™ effect.
Published [06/06/19]File size [111 KB]
KEIM Granital is a classic mineral, matt finish silicate based paint for use on all forms of mineral substrates
Published [06/06/19]File size [102 KB]
KEIM Innostar is an innovative interior paint, with excellent coverage meaning that in the majority of cases only one coat is required, even onto new, unpainted plaster, without the need for undercoats or mist coats.
Published [06/06/19]File size [74 KB]
KEIM Lignosil is the first mineral composite coating for protection of wood against the effects of weather. It is a durable, economical and aesthetically-pleasing system, suitable for cladding and timber framed wooden surfaces.
Published [06/06/19]File size [100 KB]
Keim Lotexan N
KEIM Lotexan N is a siloxane based water repellent impregnation to reduce the water absorption of natural stone. It can be used to protect all common kinds of natural stone from water, acid rain and atmospheric pollution.
Published [06/06/19]File size [108 KB]
Keim Mineral Paints for Murals
External Masonry paint for murals
Published [31/10/17]File size [1513 KB]
Keim Mineral Paints Limerender
Modern Masonry & Internal Emulsion Paints
Published [29/07/16]File size [1478 KB]
Keim Mineral Paints Listed Prestigious Buildings
Published [31/10/17]File size [2796 KB]
Keim Mineral Paints Projects 10 yrs after being painted
Durability of Keim Mineral Paints and Coatings, Granital, Restauro Lasur, Royalan
Published [30/09/16]File size [1282 KB]
KEIM Optil is a premium quality sol-silicate paint specifically formulated for elegant interior applications, available in a wide range of colours including bold and expressive colour shades.
Published [06/06/19]File size [105 KB]
Keim Paints Churches, Chapels and Historic Buildings
Internal and external masonry paints for historic listed buildings and churches
Published [29/07/16]File size [801 KB]
Keim Paints The Smart Alternative to Through Coloured Render
Published [29/07/16]File size [1085 KB]
KEIM Porosan is a render system for renovation of interior and exterior salt-damaged rendered surfaces.
Published [06/06/19]File size [109 KB]
Keim Reference Projects Schools, Universities
Published [31/10/17]File size [1078 KB]
Keim Restauro Lasur
The KEIM Restauro Lasur finish provides a natural look that can be used on both new stonework and for blending in repairs.
Published [06/06/19]File size [212 KB]
Keim Restauro Stone Repair
Stone replacement mortars are used for reconstructing stone. The KEIM Restauro range of dry bagged, mineral based restoration mortars are ideal for repairing damage to natural stone surfaces.
Published [06/06/19]File size [123 KB]
Keim Restauro Stone Restoration
Published [06/11/18]File size [1009 KB]
KEIM Royalan is a mineral silicate based paint system developed to withstand harsh climate conditions, ideally suited for use in exposed locations, tropical regions, and those subject to continual pollutants and contaminants.
Published [06/06/19]File size [115 KB]
KEIM Soldalit is a modern sol-silicate based paint for use on mineral and previously painted substrates.
Published [06/06/19]File size [102 KB]
KEIM Soldalit-ME is an exterior sol-silicate photocatalytic mineral paint. KEIM Soldalit-ME is a variation of KEIM Soldalit which offers sustainable exterior protection for buildings with the additional environmental benefit that it helps to degrade nitrogen oxide pollutants from the atmosphere.
Published [06/06/19]File size [103 KB]
Keim The Photocatalytic Difference Soldalit ME Ecosil ME.
Published [29/07/16]File size [881 KB]
Keim put to the test
The LPOC is regularly asked about which are the most appropriate,
sympathetic, or authentic products to use on a listed building; no more so than when it comes to painting external walls. The range of products to choose from today is extensive and issues of durability, breathability and compatibility with existing surfaces can be a little daunting to the listed property owner.
The latest ‘LPOC puts it to the test’ report relates to Keim Mineral Paint. I have known of Keim paints for over 30 years but I had
never actually used their paint range. I was fortunate enough to meet one of Keim’s technical representatives at an LPOC event and he in turn put me in touch with their Business Development Manager, Richard Perry. In time, Richard visited the house, prepared a specification and recommendations for the repainting and then revisited on occasions as I carried out the surface preparation and paint application.
My listed building has painted brick elevations and redecoration was well overdue. The house is of late-medieval origins but has undergone substantial alteration, extension and rebuilding during every one of the last five centuries. Its walls are built of flintwork, exposed timber framing, brickwork, tilehanging and render. In all, about a third of the external elevations are painted brickwork which were last decorated using a hydraulic lime based paint over a decade ago. The painted surface are irregular due to erosion of the brick faces and the mortar joints are soft and a little powdery in areas.
KEIM MINERAL PAINTS:
Keim Mineral Paints were developed over 140 years ago but they were not fully introduced into the UK until 1978. The paint is based on a potassium silicate binder which is highly resistant to weathering and creates a strong permanent bond between the paint and the underlying masonry substrate. It effectively becomes an integral part of the substrate, rather than just a surface coating, giving it unusual longevity and durability.
A big attraction for me was the paint’s reputation for longevity. It is not uncommon for applications to last 20 to 30 years and there are examples which are considerably older. The murals on Stein am Rhein Town Hall, Swizerland, were painted with Keim paint over 100 years ago and are still in good condition and the murals in St Martin’s Church, Blackheath in Surrey were painted in 1895. Richard Perry explains that he often revisits projects to give advice on repainting and finds himself saying that the original Keim paint is in good condition and just requires a good clean.
WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SAYS:1
• Because Keim paints use a potassium silicate binder they do not flake and the binder does not disintegrate under the effect of UV light. Consequently they are highly stable and able to resist the effects of acid rain, industrial pollution or alkaline attack.
• The alkaline nature of Keim Mineral Paint (11 to 13 on the pH scale) makes it resistant to the growth of fungi and algae spores.
• Unlike acrylic based paints, they have no residual electrostatic charge, therefore they do not attract dust.
• Keim Mineral Paints are water borne, odourless, non-toxic and manufactured from natural ingredients using a low energy manufacturing process. They contain no solvents or any petro-chemical
derivatives. Consequently the paint has a good environmental profile. The basic raw ingredient is quartz or sand.
• Because the paints use light-fast mineral pigments and binders which are unaffected by weathering and UV radiation they do not fade over time.
• The crystal structure of Keim Mineral Paints gives a high level of reflectance compared to oil-based paints.
• The paints are inherently non-combustible unlike synthetic paints which are manufactured from petrochemicals.
• The micro-crystalline nature of the paint creates finite spaces between adjacent crystals which allow the free passage of vapour, but prevent the ingress of driven rain. Consequently it is highly water vapour permeable (or breathable).
• Tools are washed in water.
• Keim Paints are suitable for use on brickwork, blockwork, concrete, all types of stone (including flint), terracotta, faience, render and even glass. They are not suited to use on plastic or metal.
I embarked on preparing my walls in theautumn of 2018 under Richard Perry’s watchful eye. Keim offer a list of contractors who are experienced in using their mineral paint system but I decided to do the redecoration myself.
As is so often the case the preparation took longer than I had anticipated partly because I needed to undertake some repointing, crack filling and a lot of cleaning with water and a bristle brush. Small cracks and blemishes were filled using Keim Spachtel which is a
Richard Perry inspected the walls to check that they were ready for application of the Keim Mineral Paint system but they were not. He identified numerous areas where there were outbreaks of red algae on the surfaces. Rydophaedise, to give it its proper name, is a marine algae which is increasingly found on building surfaces in the south-east, possibly as a result of global warming. It reveals itself
in little red spots that turn yellow when squashed under the thumb. Bleach, water and many more hours of bristle brushing was the prescribed remedy.
Having spent many hours removing the red algae I applied Keim Fixativ to consolidate some of the surfaces which were dusty and slightly friable and then Keim Algicid to kill any residual mould or fungal growth. Both were quick to apply using a garden spray.
Then I had to wait for the walls to dry to below 18% moisture content prior to painting. The weather closed in and I was forced to down tools with the onset of winter.
With renewed enthusiasm I picked up the project again in spring 2019. I applied the paint using a 4” masonry paint brush. The paint was of a creamy consistency, it was easily applied and provided good cover in just the one coat. A second coat was then applied to obtain the full protection from the system.
The end result is transformational and very pleasing aesthetically. It is reassuring to know that the solid brick walls are breathing in
the way that they should and that they will actively shed rainwater in bouts of heavy rain. Only time will tell how long the paint will
last until it requires redecoration but I will be disappointed if it does not live up to Keim’s claims. I will make a point of monitoring it and will write an update in a few years’ time.
What impressed me most about Keim’s service was the hands on approach which they have when it comes to specifying the right product and overseeing the process. This is not a service for which they charge, but it could well help to avoid some of the pitfalls which may result in premature failure. Most people, even professional decorators, do not have the expertise to recognise or treat red algae or to check that the moisture content of a wall is below 18%. Having Richard Perry alongside to provide that high level professional advice was invaluable.
LPOC Conservation Advisor
Keim Mineral Paints - See us at The Listed Property Shows
The Listed Property Owner’s Club brings you all the specialist information and expert help you may need if you are maintaining, altering or renovating your listed home – or even looking to buy one – The Listed Property Show is not to be missed! You can chat with independent conservation offices, architects and ourselves about your plans and listen to informative lectures on a topic of your choice. Doors open at 9am, so why not join us for one day, under one roof.
The Listed Property Show, South West
The Passenger Shed, Bristol
Saturday 21st September 2019
The Scottish Listed Property Show
Assembley Rooms, Edinburgh
Saturday 26th October 2019