SFS Group Fastening Technology Ltd.
153 KIRKSTALL ROAD
WEST YORKSHIRE LS4 2AT
Tel: 0330 0555 888
Suppliers of: Hinges, Fasteners, Fixings, Concealed Hinges, Cladding Fixings, Thermally Broken Fasteners.
Whether you are looking for hinges, roofing or façade fasteners or other structural systems, SFS products have all been designed with quality, performance and ease of installation in mind. Based in Leeds, where fasteners have been manufactured for over 120 years, SFS can offer architects, designers, consulting engineers and contractors a proven commitment to product quality, innovation, bespoke technical solutions and efficient service.
SFS are the only EU manufacturer of stainless steel construction fasteners in various steel grades. We provide carbon, A2, A4 and A5 fasteners. We support architects in specifying the right product for the application and sustainability and aesthetic attributes required. Our products use austenitic stainless steel to ensure that the buildings they are used on won’t fail due to corrosion.
Our Product rage consists of:
- Single & twin skin construction - A new generation of stainless steel self-drilling fasteners. Our answer to the emerging challenges in industrial light construction is a new range of stainless steel drilling fixings. These components offer enormous benefits.
- Standing Seam and Secret Fix - Easy installation of halters for standing seam roofs. SDK fasteners, specially developed for halters, leave nothing to be desired in terms of ease-of-use and long term security.
- Composite Panels - Fast and comfortable fixing of composite panels. SFS offers the answer with the SXC family. These fixings fulfil a host of requirements.
- Steel and timber construction - Simple, reliable fixing in high tensile steel. Increasing demands in terms of security and product durability increasingly call for the use of high quality steel fasteners in industrial construction.
- Rivets - Efficient fastening solutions for thin metal sheet applications with our range of Multi range blind rivets and Folding blind rivets BULB-TITE®
- Tools & Accessories - Time is money; especially on site. That’s why productivity-improving installation tools have always been a feature of the SFS service package.
- isotak® system - For attachment of membrane and insulation reducing thermal bridging in flat roof and cold storage construction applications.
- isoweld® system - Innovative induction welding system which welds adhesive coated plates to single ply membrane.
- isofast® system - a fully metallic system consisting of special fasteners and stress plates for fastening membranes and insulation to a range of substrates.
- TDBL nonut® - for secure steel-to-steel connections in diverse fields of application - a fastener without a NUT!
- MULTI-MONTI® - an innovative and secure anchorage bolt for concrete and walling.
- Hinges for PVC - Our PVC hinge product range is specially matched to the needs of the end user. We offer both standard PVC hinges and also PVC hinges for special applications. Our PVC hinge portfolio includes the Dynamic 2D, Dynamic 3D and Estetic 2D.
- Hinges for composite - The new Dynamic 2D-C and Dynamic 2D-F hinges have the same benefits of the original Dynamic range for PVC-U doors, namely great aesthetics, adjustability, security and durable performance.
- Hinges for timber - Quality, performance, load support strength and modern design are the hallmarks of our door and window hinges for the timber market.
- Hinges for steel - Inspired by the latest trends, SFS has introduced a complete programme of hinges for steel and aluminium doors. The Just 3D for steel frames and the Dynamic 3D for aluminium head up this range.
- MC - Mechanical Corner Fixing System. The competitiveness of a timber window can be improved drastically with single part production. The special features of the new MC fixing system for the mechanical corner fixing contribute decisively to the economic efficiency of this new manufacturing technology.
- Accessories and fitting tools - SFS offers hinge covers, slip-over heads, milling guides, drilling patterns, gauges and all sorts of other useful installation aids to help make the most of SFS hinges.
- JB-D® - The JB-D® installation system allows for scheduled, accurate window and doorset installation in accordance with RAL guidelines and accommodates all dead and imposed loads. Used for aluminium, timber and PVCu windows, the system is ideal for high rise residential and commercial buildings.
- Frame Fixings - Our SPTR range of fasteners provide fixing and adjustment solutions for our window installation systems for all substructures and our FB range of frame fixings can be used without plugs on window frames. These fixings allow easy installation of window frames in various walling materials.
From John O’Groats to Lands End, we’ve supplied products for new and refurbished projects throughout the UK.
SFS aims to increase awareness of all aspects of construction from building envelope to hinge technology, take a look at our range of CPD seminars:
- Rainscreen Cladding Systems
- Airtightness & Thermal Efficiency for Roofing & Cladding Systems
- Evolution to Innovation - Fixing of Warm Roofs
- Hinge Technology - Design, Function and Compliance
- Social Media: View SFS on Twitter / LinkedIn
- Video: Access ACO Product Videos on YouTube
- CPD’s: Take a look at our range of CPD seminars
- The SFS Academy: our custom-built academy, showroom and hands-on training facility brings together industry professionals to learn and share Knowledge click here to find out more
Further detailed technical information can be found in our catalogues, brochures and technical data in our Download centre or in our BPIndex library.
Victoria & Albert Museum
Q9 Cladding Solutions have partnered with fastener specialist SFS for the highly anticipated Victoria and Albert Museum in Dundee. Their comprehensive building envelope package will ensure the visually stunning façade delivers on the architect’s aesthetic goals throughout its lifespan.
Due to open September 2018, the V&A is the centerpiece of the Dundee waterfront regeneration programme, a £1 billion project designed to reconnect the city with its river. The 30 year redevelopment scheme (2001-2031) stretches 5 miles along the Tay riverside and is expected to help create more than 7,000 jobs.
Designed by globally acclaimed Japanese architects Kengo Kuma & Associates following an international competition, the V&A Dundee is an impressive 8,000m2 building. Once complete, a total of 2,466 huge cast stone panels, weighing 3000kg each and spanning up to 4m wide, will wrap around the museum's façade, the design of which was insipired by the coastal cliffs of the North East of Scotland. This is Kuma's first building in the UK, who is considered by many as one of the most significant figures in contemporary architecture. He is also designing the stadium for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
As part of the building envelope package, SFS also worked closely with membrane manufacturer Sika Sarnafil to ensure that the innovative design of the V&A warm roofs could be delivered sustainably and to a superior build quality for maximum longevity.
This is part of SFS’s dedication to providing industry-leading support and guidance along the entire supply chain. Colin Black, Technical sales manager for Scotland worked closely with Sika Sarnafil and Q9 Cladding Solutions, providing multiple pull out tests at various stages of the project and technical backup during the installation phase.
The V&A building’s location is in a very exposed waterfront position, with an impressive cantilever over the River Tay and a roof height of 18m. These factors meant that wind load calculations required both the membrane and insulation layers be mechanically fixed. The exposed saline environment of this site demanded the highest level of corrosion resistance which necessitated the application of austenitic stainless steel grade A4, grade 316 fasteners. These will ensure that the life of the fastening system will meet or exceed the life of the roof system and eliminate the risk of premature failure.
Sika Sarnafil S327 membrane was installed with the Sarnafast fastening system, which includes thermally broken SFT sleeves and SFS's BS-S-4,8 austenitic stainless steel grade A4, grade 316 fasteners. The tapered insulation system was also installed with BS-S-4,8 fasteners which were combined with Sika SBT sleeves and SBIW insulation washers.
Being A4, grade 316 austenitic stainless steel, the SFS BS-S-4,8 fasteners are available with a 25 year warranty and have been proven in environmental conditions worldwide. This is due to the material characteristics of A4 austenitic stainless steel which is recommended for industrial and coastal regions where design life requirement exceeds 15- 20 years.
Colin Black says "It was great to work with both Q9 Cladding Solutions and Sika Sarnafil on this prestigious building. This development means a lot to the redevelopment and growth of Dundee and we are very proud to have been able to assist with our products and expertise".
Nvelope and SFS solutions help Roofdec deliver for major Leeds retail and leisure dev
Scarborough International Properties
and Legal & General
The Harris Partnership
Nvelope NV1 and NV3; Austenitic
stainless steel fasteners
Leading building envelope contractor Roofdec has chosen rainscreen support and fastening solutions from SFS for major new building projects as part of its record £9m cladding contract for The Springs, a new retail and leisure development at Thorpe Park Leeds.
Two Nvelope rainscreen support systems were used for the façade installation. The Nvelope NV1 system supports Tiles International (TI) 20mm Granite and Jura Beige Limestone panels, which works in conjunction with a TI horizontal carrier rail. This back frame configuration minimises the number of brackets needed per square metre for greater efficiency without compromise.
Additional elevations feature 12mm Marley Equitone Natura rainscreen which was installed using the Nvelope NV3 support system. This provided a secret-fix solution for excellent visual appeal of the finished façade.
The high degree of adjustability of both NV1 and NV3 enabled Roofdec’s installers to achieve a superior quality installation with minimum hassle. All Nvelope support systems are ‘designed for architects and built for installers’, which means they enable architectural visions to come to life without complexity and deliver long term integrity to match the design life of the building envelope.
For the fixing of key elements of the façade, high performance austenitic stainless steel fasteners were specified. SFS products were selected, including fasteners featuring a durable gold powder coated finish to complement the stunning façade panels which are
visible from the nearby M1 motorway. Additional SFS stainless steel fasteners were used to attach cladding panels with a mirrored finish, again to deliver optimum aesthetics.