ROCKWOOL Ltd, Rockpanel
Suppliers of: rainscreen cladding boards rainscreen cladding, external cladding
Rockpanel sustainable facade cladding boards
Rockpanel is part of the ROCKWOOL International AS. The company manufactures sustainable cladding boards for external cladding, facades, soffits and ventilated rainscreens. Rockpanel board material is made from basalt rock.
With Rockpanel exterior cladding boards you can deliver cutting edge facades such as layering, curves and organic shapes. The board material is also cost effective and quick and easy to install. Our products combine all the benefits of stone and wood, and are perfect for use in sustainable developments. Rockpanel boards have been used for many years, in countries throughout Europe for:
As rainscreen cladding in ventilated constructions, the boards provide a cost efficient and stylish finish for any building, whether a refurbishment or new build project.
Rockpanel products are used in a large range of building projects such as:
- Residential houses and apartments
- Commercial, education, health
- Industrial buildings and warehouses
Please view our gallery of case studies for inspiration.
The unique properties of Rockpanel board material make it a highly suitable architectural choice for the external cladding and is exceptionally well suited for application including: rainscreen cladding, rooflines such as fascias and soffit boards, dormer window cladding and other detailing such as on ceilings, entrances and lower façades.
Rockpanel board material is a unique product and offers a number of exceptional properties:
- A Lightweight Panel. As workable as wood; the product is lightweight and can be easily cut to size on site. The boards are quick and easy to install.
- A Flexible Board. they are flexible, they can follow the contour of any design, shaping and curving to achieve the desired effect.
- A Fire-safe Panel. Rockpanel board material is certified to EN 13501-2 and depending on the bearing constructions in some case a sub classification of s1 can be reached. With Rockpanel FS-Xtra a non combustible grade of board with a fire classification A2-s1, d0 can be specified,
- A Sustainable Board. Rockpanel board material is environmentally friendly, sustainable and 100% recyclable. Rockpanel board material is approved as an A+/A rated facade cladding by BRE Global.
- Low-maintenance External Cladding & Fascias. As durable as stone and therefore resistant to the elements. By cladding a building with ROCKPANEL products your buildings façade will retain its original looks for many years to come, does not rot or degrade and is very dimensionally stable.
- Vapour-permeable Roofline Cladding. In most cases, ROCKPANEL boards are manufactured with a vapour permeable coating. Because of this, it is possible to use the panels (under specific conditions) in non-ventilated applications.
Rockpanel exterior cladding boards assortment
Different characteristics are available depending upon the application you require. These include ‘Durable’ ‘Xtreme’ or the new non combustible ‘FS-Xtra’ finish.
- ROCKPANEL Rockclad - The range offers a wide variety of over 100 standard colours and we can even create a colour to fit your design vision exactly.
- ROCKPANEL Ply - A primed board material that can be given a finish coat in any colour you choose, simply by painting it like normal plyboard.
- ROCKPANEL Woods - Rockpanel Woods is available in oak and ebony finishes alongside a range of standard, natural look non-repeating wood finishes.
- ROCKPANEL Stones - Rockpanel Stones is available in 11 designs and combines the look and feel of real stone with light weight and easy processing.
- ROCKPANEL Lines² - panels with a tongue and groove edge suitable for horizontal and/or vertical application in ventilated constructions. Available in a smaal and extra wide. A durable and low maintenance alternative to wooden or plastic tongue-and-groove products.
- ROCKPANEL Metallics - Give it shine and lustre with a modern engineered facade of ROCKPANEL Metallics. The metallic sheen created with the Metallics range plays with the light to create unexpected colours and effects.
- ROCKPANEL Natural - Under the influence of climate the look of this durable board material changes. Sunlight produces a natural weathering and colouration of the boards comparable to that of other natural materials such as wood, concrete, steel, and so forth.
ROCKPANEL Chameleon - The range is finished with a unique crystal layer which, depending on the angle from which it’s viewed and the effect of light, appears to dramatically change colour.
- ROCKPANEL Brilliant - This board material range offers you plenty of opportunities to use your imagination. Be amazed by how the boards sparkle during the day yet harmonise with their environment in the evening.
Further Technical information is available to download from the BPi PDF library or from the manufacturers own web site.
CLT construction & cladding: everything you need to know
CLT (Cross Laminated Timber) is an innovative product for mass timber construction. It is an alternative material for the frame of your building and is sometimes even called the “concrete of the future”. Architects, specifiers and contractors are increasingly opting for Cross Laminated Timber. But what is CLT exactly and how can you combine this with sustainable and firesafe cladding.
What is Cross Laminated Timber?
Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) is a relatively new product for timber construction. It consists of several layers of wood that are glued together crosswise and pressed together under high pressure. This makes the material particularly strong and suitable for the construction of floors, interior and exterior walls and roofs of buildings. This means CLT is a fully-fledged alternative to concrete and steel and is very suitable for high-rise buildings. It is also growing in popularity for residential construction due to CO2 storage in the material.
Advantages of CLT construction
Some of the advantages of CLT are that the construction time is very short thanks to prefabrication. Moreover, using CLT enables wide spans, which gives a lot of architectural freedom.
CLT construction is also a good option for energy efficient buildings. As you create an airtight and windproof building with CLT, the construction itself has an insulating effect. With a CLT frame you need about 15% less insulation than with concrete to achieve the same Rc value.
Cross Laminated Timber and fire safety
As CLT is a wood product, this often raises the question how firesafe it is. Because it consists of several layers of wood pressed against each other, a CLT construction performs surprisingly well in the event of a fire. As with a forest fire, only the outside will char, protecting the inside and keeping the structure in place.
By combining CLT with fire-resistant insulation and exterior cladding, an extra protective layer is created. As a result, the outside of the facade will not char. Because Rockpanel's facade boards are made from basalt, a volcanic rock that can withstand very high temperatures, they are naturally extremely fire resistant.
Combining CLT and exterior cladding
Finishing your CLT frame building with facade boards or planks allows you to create the appearance that perfectly matches your vision. Rockpanel's sustainable facade cladding is extremely suitable for this. Rockpanel cladding is fully recyclable and the facade boards have an officially confirmed lifespan of 50 years, are fireproof and they are also available in many colours and designs.
Project examples of CLT structures with exterior cladding
Would you like to take a look at some real-life examples of Rockpanel cladding applied on a CLT frame? Our Rockpanel Natural cladding is applied in the show home of FLETTS, a Dutch company that focuses on building sustainably. In Delft (The Netherlands), 12 appartments are currently being built in which a combination of a CLT frame and Rockpanel cladding is used.
Request your free sample
Not yet completely convinced? Or are you not sure which of our 200+ colours and designs would be the best fit for your design? Feel free to request a free product sample and experience Rockpanel yourself.
or for more information visit our website at:
Where can I buy Rockpanel exterior cladding?
Do you want to buy Rockpanel? Good choice! These sustainable, low-maintenance facade boards are perfect for every facade or one of the many roofline applications. But where can you buy Rockpanel exterior cladding?
Where can I buy Rockpanel exterior cladding as an architect or contractor?
We always distribute our exterior cladding via dealers. When you’re working as an architect or as a contractor, we can imagine you might have some (technical) questions about the material. Or maybe you just want to discuss your idea with us and see how Rockpanel could fit in here.
Whatever project you have in mind, our Area Sales Managers will be happy to think along with you. For example, we can help you with getting all the right boards in the most suitable sizes to prevent cutting waste. Or maybe you even want a custom design? Feel free to contact us for a tailor-made advice: